Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend


So the first weekend at Oxford has passed. I had no idea that there would be this much to do in a small city. We began Friday by visiting a few different pubs in the area which were actually pretty classy. Pubs here are much different from American bars. It's not so much about drinking but more about hanging out with your friends and relaxing (a coffee-shop kind of environment). In some, people even have meetings work on their laptops. Pubs here also close quite early at 11 which is about the same as restaurants and coffee places do in the US.


Most stores also close around 5:00 or 6:00. Pubs and stores closing early means many people have dinner pretty early too (at least for what I'm used to). Breakfast starts at 7:30, Lunch is at 12:00 and dinner is 5:30. This means that I'm usually hungry when I go to bed because I've been up almost 6 hours after dinner... But it's all good. We discovered a great variety of restaurants on the opposite end of the university (it's away from the touristy area so that means much cheaper). 5 pounds for Cambodian curry, a side, and a drink!


Speaking of tourists, I don't recommend going outside the campus on the weekends. The streets are basically overrun with everyone who's not from the UK. I and a few other students went to Blackwell's book and coffee shop yesterday and we met a bunch of American's there. They call it he "American corner". They were all here for graduate school though.

Will post next about the courses I'm taking and where I went Saturday and Sunday but I have to go and do laundry at the moment. They have the same laundry and drying machines as they do at Emory. I can't get away from those dang things!

No comments:

Post a Comment