Thursday, July 9, 2009

First impressions


I've been getting used to my room now. It is very old and there are plenty of spiderwebs in the lofted bedroom where I sleep (I'm an arachniphobe so it was interesting waking up with a spider on myself in the morning). Oh well! It's kind of neat having a private room with two floors. Here's a picture of the view of Oxford from my room.


I discovered when I got to the UK that my Verizon phone does not work here even though my dad said it would with an international plan or calling card. I apparently could get my phone unlocked but don't know the code. I ended up getting a pay-as-you-go plan from Vodafone which included a free mobile phone. It allows me to call the US and the UK. I love it so far. I was literally in and out of the Vodaphone store in two minutes... doing things like buying a phone are so much easier here. No lines and no providing sketchy information either.


Anyway, I also went shopping for a few things. I thought at first that Oxford would feel like a pretty small and quaint city, but I was wrong. There are tons of people everywhere during the day and very high density. The grocery store was pretty neat... had everything I needed. They did charge 5p for a plastic bag which was interesting. I don't know if this is for environmental reasons but the bag said some of that money goes to an environmental group.

Thanks for reading... will update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment